Wednesday, May 16, 2007

CAN'T TRUSS IT!

The other day whilst working out, I inadvertently watched about 30 minutes of BET. Like MLK said on that episode of the Boondocks; "It was the worst thing I have ever seen in my entire life!" (If you have never watched the Boondocks, do yourself a favor and cop it- it is one of the more intelligent and hilarious television shows currently in existence)...

Seriously, after 30 minutes of BET, I think I acquired Brain Cancer. The videos I witnessed made me physically ill. There is no need to go into why, you all know. But anyways, it got me to thinking how far 'Hip Hop' has fallen. In fact, what is presented as 'Hip Hop' now, is simply 'Rap'- and 90% of it is utter garbage. It makes me sick...

I fondly remember the days when Artists (remember them?) made awesome videos that actually attempted to say something. I got to thinking about Public Enemy. They have fallen off quite abit, there is no denying that. However, between 1987 and 1991, PE was a force...



A vicious and intelligent machine that blessed our ears with bombastic sonics, funk, and intelligent rage. The Bomb Squad is responsible for some of the dopest soundtracking ever disseminated. These exquisite audio brain bombs were coupled with video images that remain indelible and powerful. Case in point, 'Can't Truss It'. MTV was afraid to play this video, but damn, it rules...




And how could anyone possibly argue with the message espoused by Chuck D, Ice Cube, and Big Daddy Kane in 'Burn, Hollywood Burn'. Let's give these some brothers some credit, this was 1991. Things have since gotten WAY worse. Check this excellent video out...



The more I think back, and listen to Hip Hop from what I consider to be the Golden Era (Approximately 1986-1995), the more I miss it. I realize that I probably sound like some cantankerous old coot, but I cannot help from feeling this way. I mean Jesus, remember N.W.A., self-professed 'World's Most Dangerous Group'?



I remember the first time I saw the video for 'Straight Outta Compton'... I was still a metal head/hardcore/punk maniac, but damn! this shit spoke to me. I mean watch this video and witness how fucking hardcore these brothers were...



Sure, the message ain't positive, but there is no way you could possibly front on the overpowering awesomeness that was the juggernaut of N.W.A...

I could go on and on, but I must get back to work and keep these punk muthafucka's in check!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh how I wish things could get better in the music industry...but alas..I think it we will have to just reflect on the past to really enjoy genuine hip hop.

P M X said...

Its really all about VH1 Soul if you're gonna watch any urban video channels. Not sure if you get that where you live, but they have a show called Soul School and they play all that good old stuff.